MSSQL Interview Questions and Answers
Ques 1. What is Microsoft SQL Server?
Ans. Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system (RDBMS) developed by Microsoft. It runs on Windows systems and uses Transact-SQL as the query language.
Microsoft SQL Server release history:
* 1993 - SQL Server 4.21 for Windows NT
* 1995 - SQL Server 6.0, codenamed SQL95
* 1996 - SQL Server 6.5, codenamed Hydra
* 1999 - SQL Server 7.0, codenamed Sphinx
* 1999 - SQL Server 7.0 OLAP, codenamed Plato
* 2000 - SQL Server 2000 32-bit, codenamed Shiloh (version 8.0)
* 2003 - SQL Server 2000 64-bit, codenamed Liberty
* 2005 - SQL Server 2005, codenamed Yukon (version 9.0)
* 2005 - SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, restricted free version
Ques 2. How to download Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition?Ans. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is the free version of the Microsoft SQL Server 2005. If you are interested to try SQL Server 2005, you should follow this tutorial to download Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition:
1. Go to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition download page.
2. Go to the Files in This Download section, and click Download button next to the "SQLEXPR.EXE - 53.5 MB" file. The File Download box shows up.
3. Save the download file to C:temp directory. When the download is done, you should get the following file:
Description: Microsoft SQL 2005 Server Express Edition
Size: 56,105,688 bytes
Ques 3. System Requirements for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition?Ans. The following system requirements cover the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition:
32-bit Processor of 600-megahertz (MHz) or faster
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later
Windows 2000 Professional with SP4
Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 4 or later
Windows Server 2003 Standard, or Enterprise SP1
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition SP1
Windows Small Business Server 2003 with SP1
Vista Home Basic and above
.NET Framework 2.0
512 megabytes (MB) or more recommended
Approximately 425 MB of available hard-disk space
Ques 4. Why I am getting "The Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 in not installed" message?Ans. When you try to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, you may get a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup error box with this message: "The Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 in not installed. Please install before running setup."
You are getting this error, because .NET Framework 2.0 is not installed on your system yet. Read the next tutorial to download and install .NET Framework 2.0.
Ques 5. How to download and install Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0?Ans. .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required by many Microsoft applications like SQL Server 2005. If you want download and install .NET Framework Version 2.0, you should follow this tutorial:
1. Go to the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86) page.
2. Click the Download button. Save the download file dotnetfx.exe to c:temp.
3. Look at and compare the downloaded file properties with:
Size: 23,510,720 bytes
4. Close all IE (Internet Explorer) windows.
5. Double click the downloaded file: to c:tempdotnetfx.exe. The Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Setup windows shows up. Follow the instructions to finish the installation.
Most helpful rated by users: